SHRM & HRCI Polemic: RELEVANT TO YOU?
with latest update*
To some, this polemic smells Capitalism and Money, breaking the cycle of "unchartered waters".
To others it is personally encouraging - if they support the new SHRM format - or all too simply confusing and unsettling, if they are out -of- the- loop, common HR people.
To observers this is no surprise since they had unfolded the following about SHRM a few years back:
Updates on SHRM transparency efforts have been published. Get acquainted with the site.
- "Board compensation increases
- Board compensation unchecked by independent committee
- Unrestricted first class travel for board members
- Only 38 percent of board members having at least a PHR certification
- Only 60 percent of board members are HR pros
- SHRM CEO is a finance pro, not an HR pro
- SHRM board uses a search firm to find board members, including those uncertified and not members of SHRM
- SHRM board retains nearly all power, with extremely limited member recourse" (References, here)
It has been noted that SHRM gave little priority to HRCI certification. Were HR-certified members aware of that? How did it happen that non-HR people get to lead the HR world? The truth is that SHRM could have been given a blanket of trust because HRCI et SHRM were apparently so intertwined: HRCI was a direct link from the SHRM website, the demarcation was so blurry . No longer....
Listen to the CYA Report and Kris Dunn HERE. So relevant to HR-certified people!
Now, the question is: to what extent is this polemic relevant to the business world and the HR world?
- Crucially Relevant?
- Quite Relevant?
- Somehow Relevant?
- Detrimentally Relevant?
How relevant to you is this? Check here.
*LATEST UPDATE: SHRM has changed the tone of its communication. More analysis. This IS an evolving matter.